11|19|2008 05:56 pm EDT

TRAFFIC Down Under Live Auction Results

by Frank Michlick in Categories: Domain Auction

We will be were live blogging the auction results of the auctions at the TRAFFIC Down Under conference in Australia, this time for the Auction. As always we do not guarantee the accuracy of these results.

Since the auction was delayed several times due to technical difficulties, the live auction ended without going through all of the names so these results may not be complete. The last bids were received on and then the remainging were sold as well as and which had already received online bidding. The remaining names will continue to be listed for a silent auction until November 26th at’s site.

You can see them after the jump.

November 19, 2008 @ 6:06 pm EDT

I favour… and although could be a dark horse..

Some good brandable stuff in there… just depends if there’s more than one end user up for them.

November 19, 2008 @ 6:42 pm EDT

Horrible numbers. Mainly b/c most all those domains are horrible. At least 80% totally blow.

November 19, 2008 @ 6:59 pm EDT

Yes, “House” is making lots of bids and even bidding on itself. There’s a dearth of activity. domains are just too small with a population of 25 million people (Approx).

November 19, 2008 @ 7:12 pm EDT

Great steal anyway of at $8,500.
Two chars .com at such a low price.

Frank Michlick

November 19, 2008 @ 7:18 pm EDT House just means is that the bidder is at the auction itself.

November 19, 2008 @ 7:29 pm EDT

With shill bidding so rife in many auctions it probably would be an idea to have a better indicator than “house”. You play the “house” at cards etc.

November 19, 2008 @ 7:31 pm EDT

Is the online auction system down?

Frank Michlick

November 19, 2008 @ 7:34 pm EDT

@C: There seem to be some problems.

Kevin M.

November 19, 2008 @ 8:47 pm EDT

Wow!! Was there anyone there in the audience to bid?? In fact did anyone know this domain name auction was even taking place??!? What poor, poor selling prices! (and what ‘great deals’ too!) And what-up with an auctioneer that can’t do 100 lots in 3 hours?? Heck, not even 75 lots in 3 hours!?! People made fun of the .mobi auction recently, but they did better overall than these .com’s, and…a countrys’ own tld did on it’s home court!!! Is the economy that bad worldwide, or is this something else in domain name values?

Frank Michlick

November 19, 2008 @ 9:04 pm EDT

The auctioneer was doing a good job, it’s the technology that failed the auction – a 20 minute delay to start followed by several outages forced ending the auction before it was complete.

November 20, 2008 @ 12:59 am EDT

Johnny, prior to the auction going to hell because of technology problems, 75% of the names sold. I guess horrible names are HOT.

November 20, 2008 @ 1:14 am EDT

Lot #38 was my name and sold for $1,300. It seems that was about the time the tech problems started, so I got to wonder if I lost out on other online bids? Alas, at least my name sold. I feel really bad for the people that didn’t even get their names to the selling block towards the end. It’s really awful how low many of the bids were and the many problems they had.

November 20, 2008 @ 8:46 am EDT

Isn’t it a shame that a technology/internet failure would effect the domain auction?

I believe some of the domains were a steal.
Were the final prices low because of the economy, sales platform, lack of bidders or technology error?

I feel bad for the sellers.

Do you think they will make the same mistakes at the Traffic Conference in San Jose in April?
If so, I would be reluctant to give my domains away due to their technology flaws.

November 21, 2008 @ 2:15 am EDT

It was an absolute farse. I had $25k to spend and attempted to bid on a large number of bids. I only managed to successfully bid on one domain totalling $0.8k.

Very bad news for sellers as there is about 6 domains that I would have happily paid 2x,3x or even 4x the final price. I even won an auction according to the fall of the gavel but lost the auction online (see!! It will be interesting to see how this plays out because I will be pursuing them to adhere to the auctioneers gavel.

If they knew about the technical issues why did they continue? They could leave themselves open for litigation from sellers.