03|27|2009 05:20 pm EDT

PaintballGuns.com Listed for Auction at eBay

by Chad Kettner in Categories: Domain Sales Alert

If you’ve been searching for the perfect domain name for generating huge parking revenues or developing into a major online retail business, PaintballGuns.com just might be it.

The domain name was listed for auction on eBay earlier this week and has already accumulated over 30 bids and 2500 page views. However, with only three days of bidding left, it’s time domainers take a closer look. In this short report, I’m going to provide some insight on PaintballGuns.com and outline the major benefits it could bring to your business or investment portfolio.

Description

PaintballGuns.com would make an excellent site for online retail. Paintball is a sport that is growing in popularity and optimized for online retail, since there aren’t (m)any brick and mortar paintball businesses in most cities. Furthermore, the average paintball customer is a 15-35 year old male – and this type of individual is usually very tech-savvy and comfortable with purchasing products over the internet.

The key phrase for “paintball guns” is competitive and filled with advertisers; however this domain is perfect for developing organic search results and has the potential to become a major online supplier. In fact, the argument could be made that “Paintball Guns” is more valuable than simply “Paintball” since it is better suited for e-commerce instead of being a community-based website, since people who search for “paintball guns” are more likely to purchase a product.

Industry Details

• Over 5.4 million people played a game of paintball in the United States in 2007, with over 1.5 million playing at least 15 times.
  • Google Adwords estimates approximately 398,000 search queries each month for “Paintball Guns”.
  • A Google search for “Paintball Guns” (with quotation marks) brings 1,520,000 results.
  • A Google search for “Paintball Guns” (without quotation marks) brings 2,960,000 results.

Domain Details

• PaintballGuns.com has been registered since March 31, 1998.
  • Compete estimates 1,539 U.S. visitors per month.
  • eBay listing says traffic exceeds 3,000 visitors per month (115 type in visitors each day).
  • Listing says PaintballGuns.com earned $1,108.43 in PPC revenue from January 1 to March 20.
  • 96% of the visitors are from the United States.

Conclusion

PaintballGuns.com is valuable not only because it is a .com, but also because of the industry’s retail potential. The statistics show that people are searching for paintball guns, the parking revenues show you can make money even if you don’t develop, and the domain comes with an 11-year history and the perfect keywords for search engine optimization.

Visit the listing for PaintballGuns.com at eBay to bid today.

Disclaimer: This post has been paid for by the owner of PaintballGuns.com

Tags: ,

[…] that PaintballGuns.com is for sale on eBay right now.

humor

March 28, 2009 @ 7:30 pm EDT

It’s a very nice domain… But with $25,200 bid and still the reserve prize is not met

Steve M

March 28, 2009 @ 7:45 pm EDT

Excellent domain; great support in your article for a nice sales price.

But help us (and you) out, Chad; what’s the reserve amount (even a range would be good) so we’d not be wasting our time if we joined the auction?

March 28, 2009 @ 9:56 pm EDT

LOL. Why would you have to know the reserve Steve ?

Drew

March 28, 2009 @ 10:35 pm EDT

>so we’d not be wasting our time if we joined the auction?

How can it bee wasting your time when eBay does Proxy bidding for you?

Just decide your maximum price you want to pay for it, and bid that amount. You’ll either get it for that much or under, or you won’t. It’ll take you about 2 minutes to place your bid.

Chris Nielsen

March 29, 2009 @ 6:10 pm EDT

This domain is way out of my leauge, but I like learning about things like this for the day that I can someday run with the “big dogs”. But there are a couple of things that really bother me about this auction:

1) It’s on eBay. Home of organized shill bidding and shrill marketing. The seller insists on PayPal for a purchase of this size? Seems odd to me.

2) The searche queries for “paintball guns” is more than is stated, at 450k today, but that is for the “broad” search. The EXACT search is less than half of that at 201k.

3)The typein traffic numbers may be valid, but my god, did anyone notice the CTR (Click Through Rate)? If that’s accurate/valid, then I am a no-nothing newbie. If I’m wrong and generics can really get that kind of CTR then I need to move all my domains from TrafficZ to Parked…!!!

The only time I have seen CTRs like that there has been massive fraud involved. If that’s not the case, then that’s great, but any potential buyer needs to be very, very careful with all these red flags.

Oh shit! I just saw the disclaimer: “Disclaimer: This post has been paid for by the owner of PaintballGuns.com”

I don’t know if I should laugh or cancel my subscription… Let me know how much you charge to make this kind of post. Perhaps I can afford to drive lots of traffic to my domain auctions…

Man, I’m really pissed off. I guess I expected a little more from Domain Name News than this. If you are going to run an ad that looks like one of your great posts, say so at the start. This is the second time your practices have really disappointed me.

Craig Petersen

March 29, 2009 @ 8:03 pm EDT

Hello Chris,

I am the seller of PaintballGuns.com and would like to personally address your concerns.

1. (a.) Please be advised that eBay now requires sellers to accept an approved electronic payment method such as PayPal when listing their items. I did mention in a listing update on March 23rd that the transaction can be taken through Escrow.com. Rest assured, I have used Escrow.com’s services multiple times and would prefer to use their services vs. receiving payment via PayPal. (b.) I can assure you that absolutely no shill bidding has occurred. This is the type of interest a top notch category killer .com gets regardless of the auctioning platform.

2. Google’s ‘Approximate Average Search Volume’ numbers are going to change depending on when the search was performed. The fact that Google updated it’s estimations is no indication that I am trying to misinform anybody.

3. Your last concern can best be addressed by the editor of Domain Name Wire, Andrew Allemann’s reply to a similar comment/concern posted on his site. He said this when responding to the concern of one of his readers:

“Ross, not that fishy. Parked counts more than one click. I have some domains with high CTR there.”

I have been parking PaintballGuns.com with a Parked.com 2 page lander and it has done extremely well in terms of CTR.

PaintballGuns.com is what it is.. an excellent parking domain and an even better candidate to be developed into a full-blown retail website.

Anyway, I hope this information has been helpful!

Best,

Craig

Chris Nielsen

March 29, 2009 @ 8:30 pm EDT

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your very professional response. It has made me much more comfortable with your auction.

Chris

Steve M

March 29, 2009 @ 9:04 pm EDT

“Why would you have to know the reserve Steve?”

Gee, Adam; surprised to hear someone so experienced in the biz asking such an elementary question…

…the answer being, of course, that many domain buyers won’t waste their valuable time bidding & following auctions where they don’t have a clue what the lowest price a seller will accept for their domain…and therefore don’t know if any amount they’d bid would be enough to buy it.

Including us.

steve

March 29, 2009 @ 9:55 pm EDT

[ed. Steve, one comment promoting your own auction is enough]

FT

March 30, 2009 @ 9:46 pm EDT

No sale. Auction ended at about $50k and didn’t hit reserve.

paintball pro

March 31, 2009 @ 12:24 am EDT

Great auction and incredible $50k, I have list my domain name on Ebay too starting 0.99 cents: paintball.pro

March 31, 2009 @ 2:45 am EDT

Steve I’ve been going to auctions since I was 16. Many auctions don’t reveal reserve prices. The idea behind an auction is to build up the bidding to get to the reserve, revealing it loses that momentum. . .but what do I know.

[…] More here: PaintballGuns.com Listed for Auction at eBay | Domain Name News […]