04|24|2009 09:01 am EDT

Sedo launches MLS services

by Frank Michlick in Categories: Domain Sales

Sedo MLS Explanation

Sedo is launching “Sedo MLS” today, a domain listing, sales and transfer fulfilment platform similar to Fabulous.com’s Domain Distribution Network. In the initial launch phase the product is mostly aimed at partnering with registrars in order to facilitate sale and instant transfer of domain names. According to inside sources Sedo already has several partners lined up that will implement and offer the service shortly.

More information can be found on the new Sedo MLS site and in a forthcoming press release.

Tags: , , , , ,

Drew

April 24, 2009 @ 2:21 pm EDT

Do ANY of these “MLS” services run an affiliate program so that webmasters can run widgets on their sites listing domains matched to keywords?

THAT’S when one of these services will FINALLY take off in a big way.

I still don’t understand why no one has taken that obvious step yet.

Frank Michlick

April 24, 2009 @ 2:25 pm EDT

I am not quite sure if any of them actually provides widgets like the one you describe, Drew. Most of them do have simple affiliate programs though.

Kevin Ohashi

April 24, 2009 @ 3:46 pm EDT

I do question how much a widget on a random site would be worth, the person has to be looking to buy a domain name and that leaves a small audience. Isn’t the whole purpose targeted traffic? Matching domains to content really isn’t that hard, but having someone interested in buying a domain related to the content is questionable and I doubt it works out for most webmasters that a widget like that would be profitable.

Patrick McDermott

April 24, 2009 @ 5:18 pm EDT

Hi,

The Sedo MLS as described on Sedo’s site seems targeted just to Registrars and not individual domain holders.

Is this correct?

Frank Michlick

April 24, 2009 @ 6:31 pm EDT

Correct Patrick. Once the registrar has implemented it, you will be able to list your names through a participating registrar, in order to ensure the instant transfer can be facilitatet. This is a similar implementation to Fabulous’ DDN.

Jen Sale

April 24, 2009 @ 7:08 pm EDT

Congrats to my friends at Sedo on their launch!
Drew, DDN does offer an affiliate program, searchable banners, data downloads and an API. Feel free to email me (jen@domaindistribution.com) with any questions :-) We’re pretty flexible and can create almost anything you require.
Agree Kevin. Unless the ad is placed on a domain-related site, or the banner lead comes from the domain you’re trying to sell > direct matching onto a registrar/marketplace, lead>sales conversion will be low.

Adam

April 24, 2009 @ 8:05 pm EDT

This is interesting, but seems like bottlenecking the process to create another one of these. So if I want to sell my domain I have to list it on ddn, sedo, afternic, etc etc. Why can’t we just have one shared domain distribution network? Oh yea, everyone wants to be the one controlling it and getting a piece of the action.
Sigh.

Drew

April 25, 2009 @ 12:30 am EDT

Thanks Jen,

My last email to you about this was Dec 22nd last year but I don’t seem to have received a reply. Was the API a recent addition?

Jen Sale

April 25, 2009 @ 7:51 pm EDT

@Drew Hmmm, interesting. Sorry. Can you please email me your email address so I can search my Inbox?

Drew