07|20|2007 02:40 am EDT

DomainTools Reverse Whois Look Up Planned

by Adam Strong in Categories: Editorial, Legal Issues

In a post that I caught tonight on Jay’s Blog, I noticed this comment in his post

today I looked up Reverse Whois.com and who should own it, none other then Frank’s company Name Administration. I guess I will use a different name for our new service.

My mind is buzzing about the kind of tool/service Jay could be creating here where he’d need a name like ReverseWhois.  I sure hope this doesn’t turn out to not be as bad as I am imagining it could be.  I think the concept of Reverse Whois look ups will go over like a lead balloon with many I know in the domainer crowd, but I’m dying to hear comments and to hear exactly what Jay has planned before passing any judgement.

Tags:

John McCormac

July 20, 2007 @ 11:32 am EDT

At a guess, it might be like a reverse telephone directory showing all domains owned by the owner of a specified domain. It could upset a few people.

July 20, 2007 @ 11:46 am EDT

indeed. same line of thinking I’m on

John McCormac

July 20, 2007 @ 12:18 pm EDT

Well the lawyers could have a field day with this one, if it is really a reverse whois.

crinu iliescu

July 20, 2007 @ 12:36 pm EDT

The concept is not new, it was used by Network Solutions back in the 9ties. You could query the handle ID to get a partial list of domains attached to it, if I remember correctly it was up to 1000.

John McCormac

July 20, 2007 @ 12:53 pm EDT

Yes but things have changed since the 1990s and Network Solutions is no longer the monopoly registry. The whois data is extracted from a lot of other whois servers and repackaged.

July 20, 2007 @ 1:35 pm EDT

Sure the concept is not new and this is being done by other companies in-house/privately. However, it’s the “opening the flood gates” that bothers me the most. When it comes to DomainTools customer base, I’d venture to guess there are a fair number of intellectual property attorneys as clients.

John McCormac

July 20, 2007 @ 1:46 pm EDT

It would also make it a lot easier to prove a pattern of abusive or bad faith registrations. Demonstrating a pattern of bad faith registrations has been important in some .eu ADRs recently an many landrush speculators have actually stopped defending ADR actions. Some of these landrush speculators have now taken to removing the nameservers from their domains in an effort to hide them from investigation and discovery.

July 20, 2007 @ 2:06 pm EDT

Regardless of bad faith investigations, claims of infringement,etc, many people, myself included, simply enjoy some sense of privacy. Contributing to the erosion of privacy would not be something I’d favor.

[…] DomainTools Reverse Whois Look Up Planned […]