07|30|2007 08:56 am EDT

Tucows purchases It’s Your Domain

by Frank Michlick in Categories: Editorial, News, Registrars

Tucows LogoJoe over at Vpop sent this link: Tucows (AMEX:TCX, TSX:TC) purchases It’s Your Domain (also know as Innerwise), a registrar with wholesale focus and 700,000 domains under management.

Tucows will pay US$10.35 million in cash for IYD with the opportunity for IYD to realize a further US$1.05 million based on specific targets. The acquisition is expected to add approximately US$7 million in yearly revenue and between US$1 and $2 million in adjusted net income in the first 12 months.

Here are the reasons emphasized by Elliot Noss in a video podcast.

• Great existing Customer Relationships
  • Hosted Reseller Interface
  • Opportunity to introduce new services to IYD’s customers.

From my perspective as a former Tucows employee, the hosted interface is especially an important factor, since the smaller Tucows resellers (and some of the larger ones) have long been asking for a feature like this. Basically this allows resellers to quickly set up an brand a domain name registration site, a feature already offered by competitors such as eNom and GoDaddy/WildWest.

The founders, James McKenzie & Ted Cucci, will move on to their new venture, Network Merchants. Tucows will also be a customer of the company. Employees are kept on for a transition period and will then move to the founder’s new business.

[Press Release]

Tags:

Michele Neylon

July 30, 2007 @ 2:05 pm EDT

Frank

I’m a bit confused

Why would Tucows be a customer of IYD?

Michele

Frank Michlick

July 30, 2007 @ 3:31 pm EDT

Michele,

As it says above: “The founders, James McKenzie & Ted Cucci, will move on to their new venture, Network Merchants. Tucows will also be a customer of the company.”

Tucows will be a customer of their new venture, not of IYD.

/Frank

Michele Neylon

July 30, 2007 @ 5:10 pm EDT

Frank

Sorry. I misread it

Michele

July 30, 2007 @ 10:03 pm EDT

This news made my day. Maybe under tucows I’ll be able to get auth codes and be able to transfer my domains a little easier. It’s Your Domain ? Always seemed a bit ironic of a name to me.

Harvey

July 30, 2007 @ 10:12 pm EDT

This is great news indeed!

I always felt like itsourdomain umm, I mean itsyourdomain.com was holding my names hostage.

Good Riddance!

Michele Neylon

July 31, 2007 @ 3:05 am EDT

Adam / Harvey

So I’m not the only one to have had “issues” moving domains from them?

Michele

[…] Tucows purchases It’s Your Domain […]

Michael

August 19, 2007 @ 9:42 pm EDT

Sad to see IYD go. Never had a problem. Godaddy and enom were the problem registrars.