06|21|2008 05:36 pm EDT

NameJet.com – Employees Not Allowed to Bid

by Adam Strong in Categories: Domain Aftermarket, Miscellaneous

There’s a bit of controversy swirling around the expiring domain name after-market as reports of “insider bidding” have been raised at NamePros and DomainNameWire.com. According to DomainNameWire the topic of NSI and Enom employees bidding at NameJet was discussed with an employee over the phone.

Enom Sr. VP Taryn Naidu informed DomainNameNews.com that this is not the practice at Namejet.com

I have no idea how anyone got the ‘information’ that Namejet allows employees to bid but I can tell you that it not the case. We definitely do NOT let employees compete in auctions. Even if controlled, that practice has bad news written all over it.

We have both report monitoring of account purchases and also IP monitoring of backorders and bids.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Andrew

June 21, 2008 @ 8:54 pm EDT

Interesting that their phone rep would have such a canned response for the question if it wasn’t true :)

Frank Michlick

June 22, 2008 @ 7:45 am EDT

Andrew, more importantly apparently the phone rep does not know that he is not allowed to bid in the auctions.

Aside from letting employees bid at the auction, it would be interesting to have some statistics on a) which companies bid in their own auctions and b) which registrars take over pre-release domain names that never make it to the auction.

Oh and while we’re at it, let’s also see which companies c) operate a domain marketplace and buy domains for their own portfolio at that marketplace and d) which companies register/taste domain names based on the domain names in their customer’s portfolios.

Eric

June 23, 2008 @ 7:06 pm EDT

I am 99% certain a bidder with username Taryn had the high bid for the NameJet auction for possums.com (DNJournal sales charts: http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2008/domainsales04-15-08.htm). From the comment here I assume it was just a wild coincidence, but never having seen anyone with that name before it surprised me to see what I presumed was an eNom staff member take the winning bid (it would be like seeing a user named “Sahar”, no relation, bidding on a Bido.com auction). I like NameJet’s approach to domain auctions and hope the controversy is not true.

Frank Michlick

June 23, 2008 @ 7:11 pm EDT

Eric, I am pretty sure that the bidder with the user name Taryn is not Taryn Naidu, but rather a domainer who thought it would be funny to assign this bidder name to his account.

As for Bido.com, check their House Rules. There it says:

1. 1. Bido.com may submit one bid for the company’s guaranteed price at any point during the auction.
  2. 2. Bido.com will disclose if domains listed are owned in whole or in part by company principals. In such cases, there is no guarantee amount, the house cannot bid, and other parties associated with Bido.com cannot participate.
  3. 3. Founders and employees of Bido.com and their relatives are not allowed to bid/participate in auctions individually.

Taryn Naidu

June 24, 2008 @ 10:46 pm EDT

Eric,

Frank is correct. I can assure you that the Bidder Alias of Taryn is not me.

Troy Leaver

June 25, 2008 @ 6:09 pm EDT

FYI, today I won a NameJet auction, after a last minute bidding war with NameJet user “taryn”, whose bids ended driving the ending price up to $4,000. (I won the auction.)

windows web servers

June 25, 2008 @ 11:53 pm EDT

If this type of thing actually happens, it is very unfair. The domains need to open to everyone and insider bidding is an event that should be heavily frowned upon.

June 26, 2008 @ 5:46 pm EDT

Bidder username “taryn” = name administration FYI

Frank

June 30, 2008 @ 11:12 pm EDT

Troy Leaver

June 25, 2008 @ 6:09 pm EDT

RSS feed for comments on this post