03|04|2009 05:26 pm EDT

Firefox Extension to Block Parked Domains

by Chad Kettner in Categories: News

There is a new Mozilla Firefox add-on that intents to keep internet users from visiting parked domains. The “Duck Duck Go Toolbar 1.1.4” blocks over 42 million parked websites  (listed at ivegotafang.com) and keeps internet users from the advertisements that generate revenue for many domainers.

A block page notifies users who download the toolbar whenever they land on a parked domain and lets them choose to go back, proceed anyway, or search for something else – while also recommending alternative websites (ex. “Did you mean Facebook.com?” instead of Facebbook.com).

If internet service providers follow suit or browsers include this functionality without extensions, this type of tool could create a major hurdle for domainers to overcome and could even affect potential buyers of domains that were parked at one point. The Firefox extension also aims to promote the DuckDuckGo search engine.

[via Mozilla.org]

Tags: , , , ,

Nobody

March 4, 2009 @ 8:03 pm EDT

Looks like the douchebag’s email is REMOVED
His name: REMOVED

Main web site is REMOVED – reported to GoDaddy for fake WHOIS.

REMOVED

Other domains that he owns:

REMOVED

[Ed. This is not the right place to publish private information about other people. Personal information has been removed]

Johnny

March 4, 2009 @ 8:58 pm EDT

What the heck does the above post mean?

Troy

March 4, 2009 @ 9:29 pm EDT

Nobody,

Are you sure that you are commenting on the right post?

Were there really domainers that didn’t see something like this coming? If you are not providing value for people (parked domains do this in only the most rudimentary form) then they will do all they can to avoid you. As a domainer I see the value of parked pages, as a human I hate them and I think that this type of an extension is expected.

Time to develop or sell.

D

March 4, 2009 @ 10:45 pm EDT

I think is actually good. Because this plugin will install only people who know what parked page is, do not like aprked pages and can recognize them. So the only traffic missed will be the one which would never click or convert for advertiser.

[…] Go here to see the original: Firefox Extension to Block Parked Domains | Domain Name News […]

Ricardo

March 5, 2009 @ 11:04 am EDT

It is basically opening the door to censorship.
Who determines what is a parked page?

Will it evolve into blocking pages that have not be updated within a certain period?
Will it evolve into blocking pages that contain adsense?
Will it evolve into making decisions (suggestions to viewer) of a better website to visit?

Will it evolve into blocking “Made for Adsense” pages?
What about WhyPark pages?

The point being – will internet users give up control of their viewing interest to a single company?

In many ways Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and McAfee are already doing that.

Troy

March 5, 2009 @ 12:48 pm EDT

Ricardo,

The difference between all that an censorship is that people would choose to download the extension. I would agree with you that is is dangerous and censorship if all browsers added this without the choice of the user.

Chris Nielsen

March 5, 2009 @ 2:58 pm EDT

I just submitted about 20 of our 1,400 parked domains to their list. I fully support what they are doing only because it is doomed to fail. And even if it doesn’t, I think it’s great that people that don’t want to see parked domains don’t have to.

Of course, when a domain is sold and has a site on it, people aren’t going to see that either unless it gets unblocked.

Anyone that is foolish to try and “police” the Internet deserves what happens to them. Heck, I may contact them and ask if I can upload my entire portfolio, since that would save me some time and hasten their downfall. :-)

Embrace, extend, and extinguish.

juno1

March 16, 2009 @ 12:57 pm EDT

I’m going to be trying out google adsense parking as soon as my subsription runs out at godaddy cash parking. I was taking a look at google’s example page and really like how they made it look just like thier search results. I don’t make much on cash parking, but i’m sure the layout of google’s parking is going to incrase my revenues.

Chris Nielsen

March 16, 2009 @ 8:28 pm EDT

Juno1,

Who gave you that link to what you call “Google’s example page”? it doesn’t even seem to be registered to them, and I doubt they would use a live parked domain as an example…

[Update on our experience with the service: We started making some money from the domains we parked at Google. It’s not a lot given the amount of traffic we have, but it’s more than we got when these domains were parked with other providers. It’s just barely worth the time it took to set up so far… :-(