09|02|2008 02:48 pm EDT
After accidentally sending out a premature press release, Google is prepared to enter the browser market earlier than anticipated with Google Chrome – a cutting edge web browser that has been created with today’s internet user in mind. More details after the jump.
The browser will offer several unique features including…
- Advanced tabbed browsing where each tab gets its own process, significantly reducing browser crashes
- A distinct layout that places tabs on top of the browser window instead of underneath the address bar
- Increased browser security through automatically updated malware and phishing lists
- A default home page that displays your most visited websites and other customizable information…
- An “incognito” mode (aka “porn mode”) that lets you browse websites in complete privacy without recording any of your activity.
“Expect to see millions of web devices, even desktop web devices, in the coming years that completely strip out the Windows layer and use the browser as the only operating system the user needs. That was going to happen anyway, but Chrome + Gears just made the decision a whole lot easier for hardware manufacturers to make.
Microsoft, meanwhile, is stuck with a bloated closed source browser that they don’t even tether to their search engine for fear of more antitrust woes. Google can push their search engine and other web services all day long on Chrome, with no government interference. So not only will Chrome drive lots of incremental revenue to Google, it also paves the way for a Microsoft-free computing experience.”