12|03|2010 02:00 pm EDT

Monte Cahn Leaving Oversee.net and Moniker.com at End of December

by Adam Strong in Categories: People

Monte Cahn At Affiliate Summit West 2009

Oversee.net , parent company of Moniker.com, announced today that Moniker.com founder Monte Cahn will no longer be with their organization effective December 31, 2010

Oversee purchased retail registrar Moniker.com at the peak of the domain name auction boom in 2008, when Moniker had been enjoying a string of huge auction events during TRAFFIC conferences.  The company soon merged Moniker and Snap operations and launched new live auction formats and new auction events.  Moniker lost the contract to TRAFFIC events shortly after the Oversee purchase but pushed out some more impressive auction results with these new events and at DOMAINFest.

“I want to express my sincere gratitude to all those that have worked with me at Moniker, SnapNames and Oversee and helped build an industry-leading brand and company.  I know that their successes as individuals and as a company will continue for years to come,” said Cahn.  “I also want to express my thanks to our loyal customers and business partners who believed in and contributed to the domain name industry.  It has been a real pleasure serving the industry for the past 15 years.”

Cahn is a well known figure and some have even coined him “the hardest working guy in domains“. I’m sure we’ll see a lot more from Monte in the future.

Company press release after the jump

Domain Name Industry Pioneer Monte Cahn Will Conclude Relationship With Oversee.net

Cahn Plans Departure At End of Contract Period on December 31

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (December 3, 2010) — Oversee.net® said today Monte Cahn, the founder of Moniker® and a widely-known domain name industry pioneer, has elected to leave the company at the conclusion of his contract later this month.

“Oversee appreciates all of Monte’s contributions to the company and to the industry,” said Oversee CEO and President Jeff Kupietzky.  “We respect his desire to part ways and look forward to working with him in new capacities.”

Cahn joined the organization in December 2007, after Moniker’s acquisition by Oversee.  He was instrumental in the successful integration of the retail registrar function into Oversee’s other operating divisions, and continued his prominent industry role as a leader and facilitator of domain name sales through private and live domain name auction events.  During his time with Moniker, Cahn helped create and introduce inventive services like domain name appraisals, escrow, theft protection, WhoIs privacy, bulk name and asset management, and live domain auctions.

Cahn will leave the Oversee organization on December 31, 2010.

Tags: , ,

Hal Meyer

December 3, 2010 @ 5:43 pm EDT

Monte is one of the best people I have worked with in this business. I am going to miss him.

Ds

December 3, 2010 @ 9:51 pm EDT

Poor monte
He gets sucked in to the oversee and then Jeff the hatchet man let’s face it he knows as much about
Domains and how to treat people as the domain king
I think when oversee got the money Monte although we all know he flip your names behind your back.
And has never made a good deal (7search) or some other shit search engine sold him out to the hatchet man.
I am sure he is under a no compete based on his bullshitb joint statement.Jeff has no people skills parking is dead and he was the turnaround guy fit the 160 million dollar vc(notice there has been no second round.Someone will pick them up a 10 milllion
Good luck monte your jumping off a sinking ship

Nancy

December 4, 2010 @ 8:00 am EDT

Monte helped make me quite a bit of money. He had a great team at Moniker, and I was happy with them (before the merger). He paid attention to detail and wasn’t too big to go on the boards and answer questions direct. That is what helped him be successful, his availability, I think. I hope he has good luck in whatever direction he goes to next.

Danny Pryor

December 4, 2010 @ 9:18 am EDT

Wow. Good luck Monte, and whatever you do, I know you’ll make certain we know where you are.

Meanwhile, I’m sure the folks at Oversee.net – particularly Moniker – will be shouting, “Cahn! Cahn! Caaahhhn!!!!”

LMAO

Krispy

December 5, 2010 @ 7:16 pm EDT

Question is, what is he going to do now?

David

December 6, 2010 @ 5:00 am EDT

Wow, that is big news. Ever since I’ve been domaining (5+ years) I’ve been used to Monte at Moniker. Certainly will change things without him. I’m sure he’ll go onto great things with whatever he chooses to do.

Skipit

December 6, 2010 @ 4:45 pm EDT

What an example of how being in the right business at the
right time can overcome a pathetic operation.

John

December 7, 2010 @ 12:18 am EDT

Monte is a pioneer going way back to the early days and he stuck it out when the going got tough once before, prior to Moniker. Nobody in their right mind would open another registrar today even without a no compete. He built one of the best and sold it. Thats what people do. IM sure hes done well and will in whatever he does. Oversee as a whole is declining both in performance and service in all properties.

kuaför

December 8, 2010 @ 7:31 am EDT

kuaför. ankara kuaforler

Domain Hammer

December 8, 2010 @ 9:41 am EDT

I trust he is intelligent enough coming up with this decision. Good luck to whatever path he wants to do.