06|04|2009 02:22 am EDT

Dan Warner Sails From Dark Blue Sea

by Adam Strong in Categories: People, PPC industry

danDan Warner, one of the most public faces of Dark Blue Sea has left  his position as COO of DBS (parent company of Fabulous.com).  Warner had been with DBS  for over 7 years.

Dark Blue Sea announced key personnel changes just 2 months ago.  CEO Richard Moore is stepping back from that position on July 1 . Moore announced he would not be seeking to renew his contract but would stay on board as a 1/2 time executive director.  Dark Blue Sea CFO, Gregory Platz, will be taking over as CEO.

Warner told DNN, “DBS was a good company to work for and I think they are still Fabulous.  It was just time for me to do something new. I’m focusing on projects of growth, development and innovation with active interests and roles in the domain channel. I’m diversifying into more active “hands on” development projects, and as a free agent I can consult and develop just about anything.”

We were happy to hear that Warner planned to stay involved in the domain space. Rumor has it that he will be actively blogging at DanWarner.com in the coming weeks.  We hope to have him as a guest contributor to DNN in the future.

You can now contact Dan Warner at Dan@DanWarner.com and +61 414 789 50

Tags: , , , , , , ,

wannadevelop.com

June 4, 2009 @ 2:50 am EDT

Dan is a great guy.. Was one of the best execs in the domain industry for many years.

Wish him nothing but the best in his new ventures.

Cheers!

Mike

Snoopy

June 4, 2009 @ 8:25 am EDT

I’m sure he will do well wherever he goes. The blog looks interesting, I don’t mind the slogan “argue with me”……yes, I’m sure that is what it will be about.

I don’t think it is particularly surprising to see him step down from Dark Blue Sea, with the share price 1/5th of what it was stock options wouldn’t seem like much of an incentive, the parking situation is not healthy generally and the is heat well and truly out of the market- the average domain company is probably not the most exciting place to work right now. I expect we’ll be seeing more of this type of announcement from other domain companies over the next 12 months.

[…] Dan Warner Sails From Dark Blue Sea 04.06.2009 | Posted in Industry Dan Warner , one of the most public faces of Dark Blue Sea has left  his position as COO of DBS (parent company of Fabulous.com).  Warner had been with DBS  for over 7 years. Warner, probably best known for his in-depth data analysis and his leadership role at Fabulous.com, has been a featured speaker at many domain industry conferences.  More recently, Warner and DBS introduced a new angle on the domain aftermarket with the Domain Distribution Network. Dark Blue Sea announced key personnel See the original post here: Dan Warner Sails From Dark Blue Sea […]

Stephen Douglas

June 5, 2009 @ 4:26 am EDT

Dan is one of the top 10 best minds in our industry, and probably the leader in domain marketing theory.

I look forward to following anything this big genius offers in our space. DBS loses a valuable player, but they will continue on successfully.

Stephen Douglas

June 5, 2009 @ 4:49 am EDT

Oh yes… I meant to add:

I have a feeling you get a morning “pick me up” by daily visits to “rotten.com”. You bathe in negative views and almost gleeful statements of doom and gloom. You must be a blast to have at weddings and house-warming parties. “I give you two lovebirds about three years before he cheats, and she gains 30 lbs.” and “wait till the plumbing fails and the termites invade.”

Since you don’t know anything about what DBS’s business future holds, and you aren’t a stock expert, do us a favor and keep your conjectures to yourself and spend more time chasing the “Red Baron”.

Please just show us ONE POSITIVE THING about the domain industry you’ve engaged in this year, and talk about that. I’ll read it, just for shock value

Snoopy

June 5, 2009 @ 5:44 am EDT

“Snoopy, can’t you EVER keep a check on your black moods and pessimistic commentary about the domain industry? You’re like a hive of African bees attacking a church picnic celebrating the new minister.”

You still haven’t gotten over my comments about iamdomains.com have you? I don’t like you and you don’t like me, and I really have no interest in “discussing” anything with you, how about we leave it at that?

Beggars Liars Thieves.

June 5, 2009 @ 1:37 pm EDT

Stephen Douglas whats your problem?

Snoopys comment was a useful one, pretty much what I would say.

Actually Stephen have you deconstructed DBS’s last financial report? If you did and understood the industry you’d agree with Snoopys comment.

[…] – Dan Warner Sails From Dark Blue Sea: “Dan Warner, one of the most public faces of Dark Blue Sea has left his position as COO of […]

Stephen Douglas

June 6, 2009 @ 4:52 am EDT

@Snoopy: Nice “sidestepping” of my points, straight up – -you don’t know sh*t about DBS, (or Iamdomains.com, which I proved on your dying suckup forum after you stupidly and unfairly attacked Stephen Webb in YOUR thread,) so either address my direct comments to you under your real name, or take your lilly-ass back to your troll cave.

@ Beggars Liars Thieves: Why is it that negative comments are provided by people who still hide behind dumb-*ss anonymous handles, like “Snoopy” and you and the rest of the Domainer Sims? You’re chickensh*ts who haven’t yet evolved with the rest of this industry to ID yourselves when you speak.

Let me give you a quick lesson in how to assess comments by anonymous wannabees who are “pushing passengers into lifeboats because the band leader played ‘It’s Over’ by Filter.” I remember back in the mid ’90’s when Apple stock was done for. Lowest point ever, and the demise of the company was predicted across the board. A friend of mine’s mother had 5000 shares of Apple stock and wanted to know if she should dump them. This was the second “prediction” of Apple sinking in less than three years, but I said “hold on to the stock, Apple has too many strong dedicated buyers and they have some tricks up their sleeves”. She held on to her stock, and when iPod’s were introduced, her stock soared. It now has increased to 10 times what it was before, she cashed out double her original investment and is letting the rest ride.

BOTTOM LINE: Anyone who posts something regarding domains without publicly identifying themselves is basically a loser/poser in this industry. So, give comments by trolls who hide behind “fun handles” the value they deserve – “who the f*ck are you and what have you done lately?”

Like I asked before:

QUESTION: Snoopy, what have you done lately to promote the domain industry under a “real” name?

ANSWER: Nothing. (Which is why you are scared to answer the question.)

That said, we know where your “professional analysis” and prediction for DBS (and other domain companies) stands. This is 2009, not 2002. Who would take advice from a guy named “Snoopy”? Clowns, maybe.

June 6, 2009 @ 12:10 pm EDT

It’s no big secret that DBS is suffering from ppc revenue declines, but I think the efforts to improve the aftermarket with DDN have been making strides. DBS has advantages that other strictly ppc companies do not, mainly an inventory to sell and an improving method to sell those names (and your names). Partnerships with Godaddy and other registrars are surely moving that ball forward, rather than slipping further downward.

@stephen both of these guys are entitled to their opinions w/o enduring any personal attacks. Out of respect for me, my readers and them, please discuss the issues and control the personal stuff.

Stephen Douglas

June 7, 2009 @ 3:01 am EDT

@Adam – no disrespect intended to you or your readers – I just chose to defend not only a great domain company in DBS, but all domain companies working hard to make this industry succeed in the mainstream arena.

But, it’s your blog, and I know “snoopy” is an old school domainer with lots of loyal friends. That doesn’t mean he’s right in making a comment like:

“…the average domain company is probably not the most exciting place to work right now. I expect we’ll be seeing more of this type of announcement from other domain companies over the next 12 months.”

I responded with my “opinion” about someone who attacks domainers at many levels continually without merit or knowledge of the full facts on his forum (and uses a “handle” to represent himself). So my “opinion” is that possibly harmful statements to this industry by someone who leaves his forum and comes to a legit domain blog/news site to dance like Chicken Little puts his “person” in line for a “personal attack”.

My thought is that I’m sure EVERY domain industry employee and executive didn’t or wouldn’t appreciate his “prediction”.

Sorry for ruffling feathers… over and out.

Snoopy

June 7, 2009 @ 7:43 am EDT

“”…the average domain company is probably not the most exciting place to work right now. I expect we’ll be seeing more of this type of announcement from other domain companies over the next 12 months.”

It is a completely realistic comment about the state of the industry right right now. Stephen unlike yourself I’m not interested in sugar coating things.

I still get the feeling you are bitter about my comments on your friend iamdomainnames.com. I am sure this is where all this latest ranting stems from. Get over it, it was an idea that never worked in Y2K and it still doesn’t work today, last I heard he had dropped 9000 out of the 13,000 he had registered and had sold 2 names, so pretty obvious how that idea has panned out.

Stephen Douglas

June 7, 2009 @ 9:13 pm EDT

I’m not “bitter”, I was disgusted with how you started a thread attacking Iamdomains.com without knowing his plan or even talking to him. It was an embarrassing jokefest at the expense of a fellow domainer who never did anything to anyone. I’m not going to re-review the banal, lame, snickering examples of your forum members’ “comments” which you allowed to personally attack Stephen Webb for months when I tried to defend him.

Webb was advised by Ron Jackson and myself when we met him to cut at least 2/3rds of his portfolio, which he did. This happened almost 2 years ago, and guess what? Mr. Webb is still in business with his “iam/weare” domains, filtered down to what works, which is what we all do. You and your forum buddies predicted his business demise right out of the gate — and I thought this was not helpful or constructive, just mean spirited crassness and bullying.

I really want to see positive ideas about every aspect in this industry supported, which I don’t believe is “sugar coating” things. Positive trends, moods, and beliefs drives capitalism. It’s what makes people “enjoy” investing and in buying. You don’t have anything against encouraging further capital growth in our industry, do you? You would like to see bright possibilities discussed and promoted, right?

[…] Dan Warner leaving Dark Blue Sea – A familiar face in the domain name industry is moving on, but will still be in the industry. […]

Domain Industry Blog Watch

June 9, 2009 @ 9:18 am EDT

Richard Meyer

June 9, 2009 @ 9:45 am EDT

Dan is one of the sharpest guys in the industry as long as you can look past his shirts. Anyone that knows Dan knows he makes a fashion statement with his button down shirts.

Dan will be successful at whatever he does.
And, I’m sure we will see a lot of him in the future.

Dan, if there is ever anything I can do for you, please let me know.
I know you would do the same for me.
Good luck on your new adventure.

Wow !!! What a way to hijack a thread.

Stephen, I used my real name today instead of my alias – ActNow.
Eventhough, hundreds of people know me by my alias.

Snoopy and Stephen made valid points but took them to extremes.
Maybe, save them for a different thread.

Sevan

June 9, 2009 @ 11:00 am EDT

Ding Ding! This round is over! Lets get back to Dan. I hope the best for him in this depressed market. I am curious about how many build out opportunities there are out there. I haven’t seen a good build out plan in over three years. It’s a tough time to go out on your own. Good luck Dan where all behind you.

Jothan Frakes

June 9, 2009 @ 11:42 am EDT

Seriously… Whoop out the peace pipe here…

Dan is a pro and has done lots to elevate the space. Props to him for that and the best of luck with his next venture. I am quite certain he’ll thrive at whatever it is. There are many, like myself who owe him a debt of gratitude for being a good ambassador of the domain industry.

Best of luck!

Stephen Douglas

June 9, 2009 @ 8:32 pm EDT

@Richard – Yep, I know your alias (I like yours, direct and forward-moving)… but it’s easier to just read something signed by the person’s name, because you don’t have to go into your “alias dictionary”. ;-) Thanks Richard!

@ Sevan, Jothan — hey, i don’t know who you guys are! Do you have alias’ I could look up to find out? ;-)

I’ve probably met you somewhere before, so I’ll listen to your advice and be a good little Viking and break out the peace pipe. (Jothan, did you ask Sevan if he can suggest something we can put in the peace pipe?)

I’d happily sit around the campfire and smoke with Snoopy and anyone else. Thanks for the suggestion, Jo-fra

;-)