12|11|2008 02:24 pm EDT

Google Expands Adsense For Domains

by Adam Strong in Categories: PPC industry

Google announced today that they have extended their Adsense for Domains to all publishers. Although, the program is being opened to all publishers, Google will continue to monitor compliance. The Adsense Blog states that the program will be rolled out to North American English-speaking markets first and then expanded into additional markets and languages in the future.

One interesting point that is made by Google in this post is that advertisers are asking for their ads to appear in this AFD program and they feel that the traffic from domains converts well. From the blog :

Advertisers also have additional opportunities to find their customers, and ads on these pages convert well. In addition, we regularly receive requests from advertisers who have found domains to be an effective way to reach their users.

[Thanks to Bill Hartzer for bringing this to our attention]

Tags: , , , , ,

Daniel Dryzek

December 11, 2008 @ 3:06 pm EDT

This move can be really dangerous to parking companies but will have rather very good impact on domainers.. And what you point – it’s great to hear directly from Google that advertisers say that domain traffic converts very well – it means that Google will develop domain channel (as we see). Latest Microsoft movements in domain industry would also confirm that domains are good investment and that they produce very good quality traffic.

Carter

December 11, 2008 @ 3:13 pm EDT

Bye Bye Parking :)

[…] directly with Google, rather than using a second-tier provider such as DomainSponsor or Sedo. Domain Name News caught on to this official Google post earlier […]

Bill Hartzer

December 11, 2008 @ 3:24 pm EDT

From what I’m hearing, only some domains are being approved while others are not being approved.

Daniel Dryzek

December 11, 2008 @ 3:43 pm EDT

@Bill Hartzer – it is interesting issue indeed – will Google accept all the typos, TMs.. like parking companies do.. hmm

Andrew

December 11, 2008 @ 3:48 pm EDT

I just set up my first domain and it was instantly approved…AFTER I went in and changed the A record and CNAME for the domain. It’s quite a pain to point the domain to their servers…

Daniel Dryzek

December 11, 2008 @ 3:58 pm EDT

Andrew – can you give as an example how does such Google parked page looks like?

Frank Michlick

December 11, 2008 @ 6:11 pm EDT

Apparently it is the content feed that they are using for this program, not search. Can you confirm Andrew?

B

December 11, 2008 @ 6:29 pm EDT

oboma.com
redit.com
streetracing.net

Looks like traditional AFD Html from DomainPark / AppliedSymantics, except the street racing domain has a different background color, and it looks like no adult domains get ads.

B

December 11, 2008 @ 6:29 pm EDT

Ah and apparently tm / typo’s work :)

Lawrence

December 11, 2008 @ 8:42 pm EDT

@a

I know it may be too soon too tell…but how does Google domains adsense compare to whatever parked companies you have used – in regards to revenue?

RKB

December 11, 2008 @ 9:14 pm EDT

A great move but too early to tell if it will benefit domainers right away. I am sure google will improve it over time.

John

December 11, 2008 @ 11:16 pm EDT

Awsome move. Im sure you will benefit from it right away.

WannaDevelop.com

December 12, 2008 @ 4:54 am EDT

The only one to benefit from this latest development is Google.

If you think otherwise… You are in lala land’

The service sucks anyways… As is — it has no future… But if Google does decide to make some improvements…. Parking companies are going to have to go on the offense and do something and do something quick

Mike

Dave

December 12, 2008 @ 8:37 am EDT

Is it available to everyone yet? I don’t have the Domains option yet under setup.

Rob Sequin

December 12, 2008 @ 8:44 am EDT

Right. All domains have to be approved and then you have to set up your A and CNAME records.

This is a good thing. The application and NS changes mean that the domain owner is seriously committed to adding only his/her best domains.

This “wall” is a good thing.

@ Daniel – I don’t want to post the link here but the domain I set up is CorreoDeCuba.com so you can see an AFD lander with Spanish language ads and custom color scheme.

Optimization Services

December 12, 2008 @ 9:54 am EDT

@Dave – It should appear in your adsense account by the 18th of December.

blogring.org

December 12, 2008 @ 12:08 pm EDT

Blogring for name…

Related Blog Entries…

Chris Nielsen

December 12, 2008 @ 1:08 pm EDT

Most of our domains are with TrafficZ and I have been very, very happy with them. But I have been bugged by having some domains that get good traffic and just don’t convert. Yes, I have tried another service or two.

I was thinking that development was my only option, but if I can get into the program I think my prayers will have been answered. Bye-bye parking? That’s pretty funny. I’m not moving all my domains from TrafficZ even if I make tons more money with AdSense for domains. I don’t have time to switch them all and unlike many customers, I consider good companies to be my “partner” so I stay loyal to them, even if it means I don’t make quite as much, and most of them appreciate it.

RD

December 12, 2008 @ 1:09 pm EDT

On a related note, yesterday I noticed that GoDaddy’s pointing was down for a portion of yesterday. Any GoDaddy Cash parking accounts out there notice a drop in earnings? Usually it shows up a few days later in your earnings.

On my end all pointed cash parking and regular pointed names where down causing all of my clients to call my main line in distress. None of the hosted domains or hosting had a problem.

I’m not sure of the length of this black out.

Ron

December 12, 2008 @ 1:12 pm EDT

About time Google tried to move in. What about Microsoft and Yahoo?

adsense

December 12, 2008 @ 7:17 pm EDT

Google Expands Adsense For Domains | Domain Name N……

Bookmarked your post over at Blog Bookmarker.com!…

dch

December 12, 2008 @ 10:58 pm EDT

Chris..

your ‘partners’ are laughing all the way to the bank

do you really think they will help you when the chips are down?

lol

UFO.ORG

December 14, 2008 @ 7:29 am EDT

Google is just sending some warning shots across parking companies bows. In doing so it creates negative sentiment and price reduction…

Bet they will roll up to a couple of key monitization players and make an offer “too low” not to refuse in the current environment.

Other than the usual vertical integration margin improvement I would say they could bring out services to sell to trademark holders thus earning greater revenues and increasing the quality of direct navigation traffic on their adverts.