12|21|2007 12:58 am EDT

Domain Registrar Godaddy Goes Nascar Racin’

by Adam Strong in Categories: Registrars

Godaddy NacarGodaddy.com announced a sponsorship deal with Hendricks Motorsports to be the primary sponsor for the #5 car for six events in 2008. The car will make it’s first race appearance in April driven by one of Nascar’s most popular drivers, Dale Earnhardt Jr. The car will late be driven by legendary driver Mark Martin and Canadian racer Ron Fellows. GoDaddy will also sponsor the #5 car on an associate level for the entire season. The car designed by Dale Earnhardt, Jr. was unveiled on Tuesday on the Godaddy website. Godaddy is one of the most aggressive marketers in the hosting and registrar space.  Godaddy also sponsors Indy car driver Danica Patrick and has placed prominent advertising in the past three NFL Super Bowl games.

The Godaddy car will be seen racing at the following events in 2008.

Date Location Driver
4/5/08 Texas Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
5/9/08 Darlington Mark Martin
8/2/08 Montreal Ron Fellows
8/9/08 Watkins Glen Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
8/16/08 Michigan Mark Martin
9/27/08 Kansas Mark Martin

Tags:

Etab

December 21, 2007 @ 11:24 am EDT

I’m actually surprised at the amount of impact Godaddy’s measly six-race sponsorship of NASCAR’s second-tier series has. I’m into auto racing a lot myself, and a number of my race fan friends online have switched over to Godaddy simply because of the company’s affiliation and sponsorship with Hendrick Motorsports.

DR.DOMAIN

December 26, 2007 @ 1:20 pm EDT

How much did that cost?

December 26, 2007 @ 2:01 pm EDT

Best guess would be more than $10m. They have one of the most popular racers in the sport so that had to cost a little more.
Here’s some more info on sponsorship from an msnbc article

“How much does it cost?

“Every team is different … ballpark a low of $10 million and a high of $20 million, depending on the team,” NASCAR’s Chief Operating Officer George Pyne said.”

Etab

December 26, 2007 @ 2:06 pm EDT

There’s no way it’s $10m for a part-time Busch Series sponsorship. That’s the second-tier series and it’s only six races. No way it’s more than $5m.

December 26, 2007 @ 2:29 pm EDT

$5m for Earnhardt, 6 races with a full car sponsorship and associate level at the remaining races? … ok I’ll take your word for it. I thought 5m at first but then the main driver involved in the deal is what upped my guesstimate . BTW I don’t believe it is Busch Series any longer.

Joe "Pitboss" Leech

January 26, 2008 @ 12:01 am EDT

Racing has been in my blood since being a kid in high school in rural NW Pa. Some of the early racing was definitely not legal, but then we had races at the tracks in the summer, the county fair, and other places.

In those days we never even dreamed of computers, much less the Internet. My first computer, a Commodore, had a modem available and we could log into certain BBds, but none of us had web sites, and there was no “Go Daddy”. But now, they are the clear leader. Does ANYone even know the $$ generated in the domain name part of our industry, much less what just Google controls?

Back to sharing my memories: I started watching NASCAR mainly on TV in just recent years, but it was never until we moved to Fla a couple years ago I was close enough and had enough time to actually get to a race. Now I’m lucky in that I’m only a couple hours drive from Daytona and I’ve been to my first one. Looking forward to the Feb 08 now. I just wanted to add my comments to this great blog affirming what a great sport this is.