01|10|2008 06:07 pm EDT

DomainTools Live Auction Flop

by Adam Strong in Categories: Domain Auction, Up to the Minute

The second DomainTools.com live online auction ended today. By all accounts, the results of the auction weren’t at all impressive. Even DomainTools owner Jay Westerdal was disappointed, saying on his blog “I expected more domains to sell.” (Read about the names sold after the jump)

The first live auction event held by DomainTools was tied to the Domain Roundtable show, however this one was not. The auction was likely plagued by a variety of factors including the holiday time slotting. The event had to be rescheduled for a January 10 end date rather than the original planned January 3 date.

From the 175 names on the list, only 16 total domains sold for a total haul of $31,800. The final sales results are below :

TampCar.com – $2000
HeyGoodLooking – $1000
HIVVirus.com – $3500
EastTimor.org – $900

Tags:

GAV

January 10, 2008 @ 6:22 pm EDT

KwanzaaGifts? Everyone’s a consumer…

Housing sucks right now, so that may not help. Timing is everything.

BuilderLoans.com is clearly the best pick.

ceoy

January 10, 2008 @ 6:41 pm EDT

Didn’t think the quality of the domains available was very good at this auction. The upcoming SnapNames auction sure looks like a great one with some very high quality domains.

Ari Shohat

January 10, 2008 @ 7:26 pm EDT

I am not surprised in the least. I thought most of the names were personally unappealing.

Also worth mentioning is that I wonder how the domains were selected. I personally submitted over 25 domains to be considered, most at their minimum 1000 usd reserve. In the end they picked one but it was one of the worst of the bunch in my opinion. I was really amazed that they thought it would sell compared to others I had. Interestingly mine had the word music in it, and I wonder if they picked it just to have something in the auction with music. However if that’s really so I think it’s a very lame way to handpick and clearly it doesn’t serve the buyers well either.

Michele Neylon

January 11, 2008 @ 10:52 am EDT

Who in their right mind would even consider running an auction over Christmas?

Simply put it was planned badly.

Mark

January 11, 2008 @ 2:37 pm EDT

These domains are sorry. I submitted a list of over 5000 quality one and two keyword rich domains and was told I was too late.

My feeling was that they just weren’t doing their due diligence and really weren’t interested in offering the very best domains they could. They simply didn’t want to be “bothered” in my opinion.

It’s like they asked for the domains then they said we didn’t make the deadline.

Jay might be a “wizard” but you can only treat people that way for so long before they tell everyone and go somewhere else.

Mikel Sevenski

January 12, 2008 @ 3:15 pm EDT

Am I reading into this or did just about every name to sell as a geo or local?