06|01|2009 04:55 am EDT

Facebook to Introduce Vanity URLs

by Chad Kettner in Categories: Up to the Minute

According to TechCrunch, Facebook is getting ready to let users claim vanity URLs to point to their profile page – with an official announcement expected later this week followed by a landrush period soon after.

This means that instead of having a ridiculously long URL for user profiles (such as http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=000000001), users will be able to have a URL that makes a little more sense – such as putting their name or nickname after facebook.com/.

Facebook first toyed with the idea of vanity URLs in March, giving a few away to celebrities and businesses such as…

• Facebook.com/U2
  • Facebook.com/Ashton (for Ashton Kutcher)
  • Facebook.com/DemiMoore

And since then, even more URLs have been passed around to Facebook friends and associates:

• Facebook.com/DaveMorin – Facebook Sr. Platform Manager
  • Facebook.com/Mark – Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook)
  • Facebook.com/KevinRose – Digg.com Founder
  • Facebook.com/TechCrunch
  • Facebook.com/Chad (I’m choked)

[via TechCrunch]

Note: Before you get too excited and start planning your vanity URL, there’s a chance that Facebook may charge users for them. So with that in mind, how much would you be willing to pay for your first option?

Tags: , ,

June 1, 2009 @ 9:59 am EDT

Charge ? sheesh. buy your own domain and redirect it to your obscure FB page if they charge. . . come on FB !

Beggars Liars Thieves.

June 2, 2009 @ 4:21 am EDT

Facebook is a /sterile crappy website anyway IMHO.

They need to pay me to surf their site.

Ron

June 3, 2009 @ 1:17 am EDT

Vanity URL’s??? They should have gone the same route as MySpace and promoted the .TEL domain name instead.

Facebook.com/ is too long to put on a business card or anything. Buy a .tel and link to Facebook, Myspace, your telephone, website, fax it’s that simple.

[…] mentioned previously Facebook is introducing Vanity URLs on Saturday . . .or what they are simply referring to as usernames.  Further details of the new […]

dot facebook

June 11, 2009 @ 3:35 pm EDT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAngcw5nOI8 is a nice explanation what may come up

mr exchange server

June 11, 2009 @ 8:55 pm EDT

I would pay $50 for a facebook vanity URL. But I don’t have 1000 fans, so I guess that does not matter — the one I want will be gone in the landrush.

Buy a .tel — you must be kidding or trolling.
Why would I buy a .tel to link to Facebook, etc?
Because I can?

Ron

June 13, 2009 @ 3:44 am EDT

If you give someone your .TEL you give them all methods of communication. Your telephone number, email, website, Facebook, MySpace etc.
Doesn’t that make sense?

There are also a ton of other reasons you would want a .TEL to point to Facebook rather than a Facebook hard to remember URL.

Besides if I want to contact you why force me to download a hosted website to my phone or browser when it is not user friendly, slow and expensive.

There is a reason why the .TEL domain name is the fastest selling domain name of all time. On release last March it sold 100,000. A month later 200,000 and in a few days the 300,000 mark will be reached.

If you look at the whois of who are buying these domain names as I have you’ll notice they are being purchased by the same domainers who made massive investments in the late 90’s in .com domain names. They made their fortune for that phase and are reinvesting large amounts in the future.

David

June 13, 2009 @ 6:28 am EDT

I got really angry when discovered that after deleting my account they still keep your complete details on their systems! To check that I tried to reregister with the same email address only to see that it’s been taken. I was able to log in with my old details! Then got a message saying that all my previous settings should be restored within couple of hours. This is unacceptable! More and more companies cheat to store people’s personal details. Marketing people try more agressive aproches in times like economical crisis banging on your doors and telephones to sell things you don’t need at the time or simply to make you go back to their website just to keep high traffic and show to their mangers silly charts of company’s growht. I am tired of all this “modern life style” s**t. Leave me alone and give me some privacy with choice when and where i want to be contacted and who can have my details. Wher are we heading? To lives when at a thought you’ll be surrounded by 100s of emails and sales guys wanting to push sale taking up you life? sick!

Drew

June 13, 2009 @ 1:34 pm EDT

>http://www.webtrafficconsultants.com/tel-domain-name-advantages-list.htm

Why did you host your “.tel advantage” page at a .com?

Mark Kolb

June 13, 2009 @ 7:50 pm EDT

Vanity domain names are the norm for .TEL users. However, they’ve already been squatted upon. An interesting solution is found at http://www.myTEL.me where you can still get your vanity Personal Domain in any of 100’s of memorable forms.

Ron

June 14, 2009 @ 2:02 am EDT

@Drew

First of all it isn’t my .com site that I am referring you to and second, .TEL has nothing to do with hosting or content. The strength of the .TEL is it can point to hosted content along with all avenues to reach that entity.

If I am going to show you information I will point to a .com/.ca etc. website. If I am going to point you to an entity weather it be a person or a company I’m going to direct you to a .TEL (business card). The .TEL could then point you to my websites but more importantly will point you to email, telephone number, address etc.

Faster to develop, quicker to use, cheaper to access (DNS download no hosting), more user friendly and more thorough than using a hosted website with a ‘Contact Us’ page.

Drew

June 15, 2009 @ 12:32 am EDT

But I can do all that on a .com/.ca etc already.

So all you can offer on a .tel is features it can’t provide. What’s to stop people putting the same info within DNS for other TLD’s?

Sounds like a complete waste of time to me.

What was that saying about a sucker born every minute?