10|24|2008 12:23 pm EDT

New spin on Domain auctions: Auctioning contact information

by Frank Michlick in Categories: Up to the Minute

As DNN read in a thread at NamePros it seems the domain name SarahPalin.com is up for auction. But if you take a closer look at the auction listing at eBay, you will note that the auction is actually not for the domain itself, but rather for information on how to contact the owner:

Okay here’s what is up for auction. Information. I’m auction [sic] off information on how you can get in touch with the Webmaster who owns SarahPalin.com

[…]The domain is currently in privacy protection and its nearly impossible to get in touch with the owner of this very important domain name. Please understand what you’re bidding on.

Any bid that is made 100% will be donated to The Boys and Girls Club.

Tags: , , , , ,

Banknote collector

October 24, 2008 @ 3:51 pm EDT

This sort of thing really tarnishes the domain industries reputation. I guess there is a sucker born every minute. Maybe some people are so wealthy they hire others to do WHOIS lookups for them.

George Bush

October 24, 2008 @ 4:28 pm EDT

I like to be on the internets and use the google to find this sort of information. I dont care for the ebay.

This is the owner as of about 9/3/08 . I doubt it’s changed since then

Torkelson, Peter peter@advanced-design.com
Advanced Design
PO Box 670382
Anchorage, AK 99567
US
(907) 688-5064 Fax — (907) 688-5064

That’ll be $50 DomainNameNews guys.

Please address payment to :
George W. Bush Presidential Library and Pub

Annoyed

October 24, 2008 @ 6:13 pm EDT

This person is selling snake oil.
Fortunately, no one has bid on it yet.

What this Sean Palma (if that is his real name) wants is traffic to
his site – single pill.
It is a stupid blog. Don’t waste your time.

Palma, Sean
singlepill@hotmail.com
SinglePill.com
33333 N.A. Steet
Suite 79
West Palm Beach, Florida 33412

I doubt that is the correct street address.
Maybe, Godaddy should cancel the domain for the incorrect whois.
Unfortunately, now Sean has paid godaddy for a private whois.

His old whois did not have a phone number.

Stephen Douglas

October 25, 2008 @ 5:06 am EDT

ummm. go to ebay. I’m selling the below domain for $3,000,000. I decided I wanted to get in on this game, as advised by my buddy Frank M, so I now own the domain “ParahSalin.com” Frank said it would be a great site for showing people how to field dress a moose and become an expert on Russian affairs by moving to Alaska and getting a home that you can see the Russian territory from your porch, while charbroiling seal blubber on your BBQ. (You need $150,000 in designer clothing to attend this hoe-down, and an illegal AK-47 in your hands allows you access to the backroom of Sarah’s home to taste rotgut Alaskan “Grizzly Moonshine” that Todd Palin cooks up each week.

I’m a little dyslexic so I’m not sure that’s the right spelling on the domain name. (Apologies to my good bud Frank!)

Lizi Obolensky

October 25, 2008 @ 10:42 am EDT

Stephen Douglas

October 28, 2008 @ 5:42 am EDT

Thanks, Lizi. I’m a “maverick” who loves doing things the “old way”, but just a bit more “shiny stuff” on it to make it look “new”. Heck, if you liked the last eight years, vote McCain/Palin and you’ll get — a revolution in the country from the backlash if they actually *gulp* win! (you’ll see me in the mob. I’ll be the guy with the pitchfork just behind the fat old lady swing the iron frying pan!)

SinglePill.com

October 28, 2008 @ 5:56 pm EDT

That’s the problem with you domainers. Just park and get paid. I know, 95% of you have zero interest in content. I think the stories that we broke regarding not only SarahPalin.com but in regards to the JohnMcCain.com domain qualify as pertinent and important to not only the election but the industry. In fact the JohnMcCain.com domain might turn into a bigger story after the election than you think. Oh and the eBay auction, if someone was actually going to bid the funds would have been donated to The Boys & Girls Club but I knew no one would. It’s called “LinkBait” and guess what, outside of domain parking it’s a great way to obtain back links and traffic. Thanks for participating!