10|22|2009 01:26 pm EDT

Sedo faces technical difficulties, Extends .DE auctions

by Frank Michlick in Categories: Up to the Minute

After technical difficulties during before the Sedo auctions for the newly released and previously blocked .DE domain names (we reported last Friday) the company has now split the ending times for the auctions as follows:

• auctions for 3+ letter domains will end at 9pm CET
  • auctions for 2 letter domains will end at 10pm CET
  • auctions for 1 letter domains will end at 11pm CET

[Update] Sedo is continously extending their auctions now, even beyond those times stated above.

Tags: , , , ,

Jeff

October 22, 2009 @ 2:00 pm EDT

Sedo’s site is still not working well. I can’t move around in “Domain Management” without getting “the page cannot be displayed” errors left and right.

Drew

October 22, 2009 @ 2:27 pm EDT

Changing the rules as they go along. That’s professional.

blogcoach

October 22, 2009 @ 4:45 pm EDT

Well I have several domains there and cannot get connected at all on IE or Firefox. So can anyone share who is is good for domain sales that are more reliable?
Thanks

Craig

October 22, 2009 @ 5:28 pm EDT

The October Great Domains auction that ended at the exact same time got totally jacked up as well. The last 5 minutes, the most crucial minutes of an auction was during the “technical issues” period of time. You would think that Sedo would extend the Great Domains auction as well…

Andrew R

October 22, 2009 @ 5:47 pm EDT

I was watching 4 domains at GreatDomains auction today. I even saw a note on one page that said they were extending the auction. I just went back and they did not extend the auction. Or I messed my time conversion up. Either way they lost money for themselves and their clients today.

uberVU - social comments

October 22, 2009 @ 6:00 pm EDT

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by DomainerTimes: Sedo faces technical difficulties, Extends .DE auctions http://bit.ly/1ag490

Craig

October 23, 2009 @ 5:56 am EDT

My Heated.com Great Domains auction ended at only $1,500.

Bidding capabilities were out the last 5 minutes of the Great Domains auction. Lisa with Sedo confirmed this on DNForum.com in her ‘Sedo and GreatDomains Site Interruption’ thread when she wrote:

“Due to a malicious attempt to disrupt our services, Sedo suffered from two different distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks which temporarily caused the Sedo and GreatDomains.com websites to be slow or irresponsive between 17:55 and 20:15 CET on October, 22nd 2009 (11:55 and 2:15 PM EDT).”

Once Sedo’s site was up again, I received an offer for $2,750 for Heat.com no doubt from a bidder who couldn’t bid the last 5 minutes.

This is the best part… You would think that Sedo would put all transaction processes on hold until management decides what to do however, the Great Domains winning bidder has already sent payment and it is sitting in escrow.

DNN, Can you please write another post addressing this issue. This has negatively affected 5 of my premium Great Domains auctions.

Any assistance lighting a fire under Sedo to make things right would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff

October 24, 2009 @ 8:31 am EDT

I feel your pain, man. I wish Sedo had a forum at Sedo.com so there can be discussion of things important to its members. When I send Sedo an email, my odds of getting a helpful reply is about 50/50, which is better than no reply at all, but still I’m left with unanswered questions regarding specific inquiries I have. Therefore, I ask a lot of Sedo questions here at DNN, which I understand is not really the place to ask, but DNN is the best and friendliest place I’ve found online for such things.

Drew

October 24, 2009 @ 3:56 pm EDT

The answer to your problems is not to trust SEDO with auctioning your premium names.

Strange how they extended the .de release auctions due to the DoS attack, but not YOUR names.

Feeling inferior right now?

travesti

October 25, 2009 @ 10:26 am EDT

Now domainers wont even check domain availability with them. Some newbies who are new to this may check with them.

Craig

October 27, 2009 @ 9:55 am EDT

Yesterday, I was supposed to receive a call from the Sedo’s North America Director of Sales regarding this fiasco.

No call. No follow up email.

[…] the heels of the recent 1 character .biz domain and 2 character .de domain auctions at Sedo, domain auction house Pool.com announced yesterday that they have teamed up with Neustar to […]